Emulsions (Cold Buttered Rum)
You can make delicious cocktails that incorporate fats by taking advantage of emulsions. Here we discuss the science behind emulsifiers like gum arabic to make a butter syrup for a "cold buttered rum" cocktail.
- 200 grams water
- 150 grams melted unsalted butter
- 200 grams granulated sugar
- 3 grams Ticaloid 210 S
- 10 allspice berries, crushed
- Heat the water and infuse allspice berries for 5 minutes at a simmer, then strain out the allspice
- Hydrate the Ticaloid 210 S in the allspice water using the hand blender
- Add the melted butter and blend until smooth
- Add the sugar and blend until smooth
- Store outside the fridge until needed
Cold Buttered Rum
- 2oz (60ml) spiced rum
- Fat oz (1 1/8oz, 33.75ml) of butter syrup
- 1/2oz (15ml) freshly strained lime juice
- Combine all ingredients in a shaker
- Add ice and shake for about 15 seconds
- Double strain into a chilled old-fashioned glass
Want more from Dave Arnold?
Check out his book "Liquid Intelligence"