Basic Cocktails - How To Make A Mint Julep
The Kentucky Derby is upon us, the sun is shining, and the mint juleps are flowing. Sit back and enjoy a little prose in this ode to the mint julep, and learn why it's important to treat your mint with care.
- 2oz (60ml) bourbon
- 1/2oz (15ml) simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water)
- 2 bunches of spearmint
- 10 ice cubes
- Add 5 or 6 mint leaves to a julep cup
- Gently muddle them to release the oils, then discard
- Add crushed ice to julep cup (use a lewis bag and a mallet)
- Pour bourbon over the top
- Pour simple syrup over the top
- Add a bunch or two of mint into the ice
- Get your nose into it and enjoy!